Saturday, February 18, 2017

Free Breast Exams - 2/18/17

Gotta love him, Ben that is. He asked that I put his phone number on the blog in case anyone needs a free breast exam.
Thoughtful!
We had another long day in Syracuse yesterday. The MRI was at 6:45 a.m. so we had to be there by 6:30, which meant leaving our house around 4:45 a.m., fun! But the roads were far better than the other two trips. I slathered on some coconut oil/Shea butter cream to help lube me into the MRI tube, Ben checked on a new calf and we were on the road.
The MRI was intense! The damn thing looked hardly any bigger than the last one, but the apparatus I laid on was not so high off the table, so I FIT! There's a lot of snapping, whirring, whatever the other noises were and my muscles started twitching along to the beat. They give you little breaks, which is appreciated, but you're still stuck in the rabbit hole. The music was not ideal, I guess I should have chosen a different genre, but I closed my eyes and TRIED to think about different things.
Somehow the woman who put me in the machine was not the woman who took me out 20 minutes later, which was a little startling. Plus the woman gave me pants that were far too big (my shoulders and belly are big lady, but these pants just wouldn't stay up. So I snatched a different pair before they put me in.
There was some random dude in a carhart and muck boots with earphones in standing outside the MRI room when they took me in. He was talking to a couple of staff members and the nurse who took me in gave everyone a dirty look and I think he scrammed, hopefully.
We went a few doors down to the Numann Center after and waited a long time to see if the Radiologist wanted us to come do any more ultrasound or biopsies. Tammy (the pit bull NP) kept checking on us and they ended up having me do another mammogram. I am enjoying the terrycloth robes vs the slightly oversized napkin I had to wear in Cortland.
Then I went to see Dr. Albert again...
The biopsy came back positive for cancer in 2 lymph nodes, but the original biopsy came back positive for a 3rd hormone receptor, HER2. While the lymph node diagnosis isn't good, the HER2 diagnosis is a mixed bag, bad in that it is usually more aggressive, but good in that in the last few years they have found treatments that it is usually very receptive to.
Dr. Albert says that at this point we are probably calling it a Stage 3, based on the size of the mass and that there are at least 2 lymph nodes affected. BUT he's still awesome and upbeat. He also noted that we would probably be doing radiation, but that recent studies, and an ongoing trial I would qualify for, show that I would probably not need a radical mastectomy, meaning I could keep my lymph nodes.
Why keep affected lymph nodes?
Lymphodema is a nasty disease caused by removal of lymph nodes, which results in swelling and pain in the arm which can make daily tasks very difficult.
That's still a decision to be made.
Dr Albert also had already made arrangements with Dr. Zeva (a longer name but that's what she goes by) for me to see her at the Cancer Center that afternoon. Dr. Zeva is the Breast Cancer Program Medical Oncologist.
We grabbed lunch, I felt like a slob eating at a decent restaurant because I had dressed for a 6:30 am MRI, not a hot date in the city. And remember that coconut oil I slathered on? I think I must have touched my hair after I dried it and my hair was looking like I hadn't showered in 3 days.
Anyhow we went to the swanky Breast Cancer offices and met with Dr. Zeva, and a Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Shapiro, and residents for both doctors. So I got examined 4 times, yay!
Game plan: 1 round of chemo every 3 weeks for 6 rounds, then surgery.
Dr. Shapiro was recommending a study where they don't do radiation on half the patients after surgery because they think it may be unnecessary if the cancer responds well to chemo. I have consulted my familial medical expert and he has been calling friends in faraway places for advice. A world-renowned Radiation Oncologist is telling him, NO, do the radiation, I'm too young to take that risk, and I was questioning that as well.
I have to have a PET scan (my insurance is already throwing a fit about this), and Echo Cardiogram and get the port put in before my next appointment on March 6th to start Chemo.
I am now considering trading in my BUS (aka suburban) on a smaller SUV for my frequent trips to Syracuse, and even more locally for radiation. Plus we would hope to upgrade Ben's truck at the same time to allow more flexibility for transporting kids. If you know anyone who can do a good two-fer (how do you write that?) let me know!
Still trying to stay upbeat, even as the news is a little more intense. Please help me stay upbeat! The more boob jokes the better!

5 comments:

  1. you will be a chemo Ninja for sure, please keep us up to date. Stay strong, and remember that you are loved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok a boob joke... An elderly woman wanted to koll herself so she called 911 and asked them where is my heart located. The operator said it is underneath your left breast. When the ambulance arrived the elderly woman was treated for a gunshot wound to the knee and survived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a good note your nipples will be in a higher spot now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having an MRI can certainly be a trying experience. The test is not painful, but quarters are a bit cramped and the machinery does make strange noises. It helps to prepare yourself ahead of time for how you are going to pass the time. Listening to music you enjoy, thinking of a pleasant memory, or even counting the noises you hear can be good ways to get through an MRI. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete